[lbo-talk] protest Obama

brad babscritique at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 17:12:16 PST 2010

My only objection to this administration handling the tax issue is that they seemed to make a rather stupid tactical error - they should have proceed with the vote on their proposal and let the Republicans to filibuster it.

The end outcome would have been more or less the same, but Republicans would have spent much of their political capital.

Wojtek

My biggest problem with the way it played out is that you had both parties advocating that tax cuts stimulate the economy...to use Bohner's words, what a bunch of chicken shit! Once again the political baseline shifts rightward as all now agree that tax cuts are a legitimate economic stimulus. Like the extra $800 in the average workers pocket won't go right back to the big banks to pay off credit card debts. Meanwhile, the president acts to legitimate a right wing economic theory, long dis proven, that letting firms depreciate equipment purchases will lead to increased employment. Furthermore, the notion that somehow once you make it legitamate to claim that tax cuts = stimulus/jobs, how the hell are you going to argue the exact opposite in two years when they come back up. Not to mention the attack on SS that is included in this chickenshit bill through the payroll reduction. ARGHH!!

We're fucked...the economy is fucked (not sure if that is a bad thing)...and the rightwing will be made stronger. Not that I expected BHO to do any different, but I thought maybe we could at least hold him to his word.

Brad