[lbo-talk] Query on French left.

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Dec 14 21:02:43 PST 2010

Yes -- that, correctly will be the standard response: because it's old hat. They did it to us in the '60s. You just have to get out of the kitchen if you can't stand the heat. Read the book on how the FBI murdered Hampton, and the whole campaign to criminalize the Panthers, a campaign that was kicked off by the FBI's horror of -- wait for it: THE BREAKFAST PROGRAM. Feeding ghetto kids breakfast completely freaked the FBI, and they determined that the Panthers had to be "crininalized" (their word). And remember the FBI bugging King's hotel room to catch him in sexual misbehavior! It's all old hat. The Internet makes a difference, but it doesn't change the basics of repression.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of SA Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:00 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Query on French left.

My other thought on Wikileaks: I've had a sinking feeling that this will all end badly in the long-run. Now that the antiwar left has rallied to the banner of total transparency, the principle will be turned around and used against it.

In other words, there will be something along the lines of, say - the next time there's a serious antiwar movement, mysterious "hackers" will deposit reams of files on the internet disclosing the internal correspondence of antiwar activists, maybe even including their personal correspondence. So-and-so has kiddie porn on his laptop; so-and-so said something positive about North Korea; so-and-so wrote in frustration that the cops at the last demo deserve to be shot; whatever.

I'm sure the standard response to this idea will be "they would have pulled stuff like that anyway," but I don't think so.