[lbo-talk] "Ruling Class" as Agent?????

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Wed Dec 15 06:07:14 PST 2010

On 10-12-10 11:58 AM, c b wrote:

> CB: The test is how much unity is there in the Chamber of Commerce on
> issues that are the locus of the conflict between the interests of the
> classes. How much disunity is there in the C of C over the Employee
> Free Choice Act ? Ask Josten that. Do any of his clients support the
> Employee Free Choice Act ? How about do any of them support repeal of
> Taft-Hartley ? Do any support returning to Welfare As We Knew It ?
> Reviving the War on Poverty ? Making Full Employment a goal of federal
> policy again ? Taxing capital gains more stringently ?

A test of what, your confirmation biases?

Why is the capitalist class in the US disunified on the issue of global warming? Or are they unified and the governing class is stalling and attempting to disunify them? Surely it can't be because the working class is disunifying them.

Why was the US capitalist class disunified with respect to trade policy in the 1970's and 1980's when competition from firms in other countries heated up in sectors like steel, autos and the like?

And from a little further back in time, where was the capitalist class centralization on the question of "free labor" between 1835 and 1935?

It's a no brainer that capitalists want to avoid cost-push inflation on labor costs and increased bargaining power at the points of production; they don't need some central committee to tell them that. Capital-Labor antagonisms are only one dimension of a multidimensional problem and one can cite numerous examples from history in order to demonstrate that the capitalist class can suffer from the "herding cats" problem.