[lbo-talk] "Still a Democrat" (was protest Obama)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Dec 16 10:02:02 PST 2010

I was born in 1930 -- i.e. I grew up in a household that worshipped Roosevelt. I didn't break with the DP until 1965, after getting a reply from Senator Paul Douglas (also semi-worshipped up to that point) in response to a letter saying that the invasion of the Dominican Republic and his support of it had robbed me of "My" Party. I stll have not trouble breaking the link to fDR, but I have not a drop of remaining attachment to the DP. Were voting maddatory in the U.S., I would vote for Palin before I would vote for ANY DP candidate.

The tie can be broken -- not just the rational but the emotional tie.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Gar Lipow Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:29 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] "Still a Democrat" (was protest Obama)

Rationally I'm on the side of seeing the DP as the problem not solution. But at the same time I have a huge emotional attachment to the Democratic Party that is hard to get over. Terry Bisson, I think, expressed it well in an interview:

The facts of Bisson's life and mine or very different, but emotionally the following quote from him speaks for me too:

>"Once in my twenties I tried (probably foolishly) to explain to a favorite
aunt why I was a radical, a Marxist, an all-around anti-war hippie radical. She nodded and said, "you are still a Democrat though?"

>I said sure.

Later in the same interview with Bisson:

>Q) How do you feel about anarchism?

>A) "As an idea, I like it. But I'm a big government guy. I'm a TVA baby.
Still a Democrat".