[lbo-talk] BHO, community organizer

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Dec 16 13:26:10 PST 2010

On Dec 16, 2010, at 1:23 PM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Saul Alinsky was quoted as saying
>
>> [T]o the organizer, compromise is a key and beautiful word. It is always present in the pragmatics of operation. It is making the deal, getting that vital breather, usually the victory. If you start with nothing, demand 100 per cent, then compromise for 30 per cent, you're 30 per cent ahead....
>
> If only!! Obama missed that key first part about how you have to start out demanding 100%!

You're forgetting the 40% conservative part. Why do you assume he started with anything less than he really wanted? It's not like he sincerely longed for single-payer. Also, the Alinsky passage betrays a positive love for compromise. He defines it as the basis of a "free, open society." This would be part of my investigation of why community organizing has been such a disaster for the American left. It's politically contentless and passionless.

Doug