[lbo-talk] BHO, community organizer

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 12:49:04 PST 2010

Obama campaigned on the public option. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2009/12/yes_obama_did_campaign_on_the.html On taxes, he campaigned on ending the Bush tax cuts... and a lot more http://www.issues2000.org/economic/barack_obama_tax_reform.htm On climate change, he called it an epochal, man-made threat the addressing of which is long overdue. http://www.cfr.org/bios/11603/barack_obama.html#16 He campaigned as a strong supporter of the Employee Free Choice Act. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employee_Free_Choice_Act Obama campaigned on encouraging post-election grass-/net-roots involvement. What Charles says is happening in Detroit notwithstanding, all of the contact I have received - and everything anyone else I know reports having received - from the OFA has been in the form of "hey, now that we've done most all of the work, come out and support our pre-established, pre-negotiated position." His education platform was always a nightmare, you're right about that.

This lefty complains about Obama not because he's not pretty much who I thought he was on most fronts, though he has failed to visibly try to follow through on any number of things he campaigned on (see above), but because if he'd followed through on more of them the dynamics of the political opportunity structure would be different and there'd be more places for more liberals and lefties to do more effective work. Unfortunately, along those limited lines, he's Jennifer Granholm writ large.