[lbo-talk] Private vs. public ownership

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Dec 22 08:53:25 PST 2010

> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Gar Lipow <gar.lipow at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> As much as I believe that public goods are better provided
>> publicly, I
>> can think of another factor that might explain why an airport in
>> Helskinki is better equipped to handle snow than one in London.
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Privately owned Heathrow airport is paralyzed by snow, while
>>> publicly
>> owned Helsinki airport remains open despite heavy snow fall.

"To fly from Istanbul to London is to travel from the first to the third world...BAA's owner, the Spanish Ferrovial, had borrowed heavily to buy the airport operator. It had big debts to service. Thus BAA shunned investment in basic infrastructure in favour of quick profits. The only real money spent on Heathrow went on expanding the terminals' lucrative retail concessions..." *Financial Times*, 21/12/10 (Philip Stephens)

Shane Mage

"All things are an equal exchange for fire and fire for all things, as goods are for gold and gold for goods."

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr, 90