[lbo-talk] Private vs. public ownership

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 22 11:00:19 PST 2010

This post was accidentally sent before it was finished.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Carrol Cox Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 12:33 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Private vs. public ownership

It seems that for Wojtek the world consists of language and only language, and that words are not addressed to anyone who has ever done anything but sit isolated listening to all words that come out of the radio. It's a strange world he occupies. I'm not sure how to label this, though "vulgar idealism" comes to mind -- which probably spouts from vulgar mominalism.

Public discourse in fact _never_ occurs in isolation but is always enmeshed and inseparable from the daily practice of whatever segment of the population (always a very small segment) who even know of the existence of the particular words being spoken on a particular occasion.

What leads people in the first place to (a) turn on the tv or the radio and (b) tune in this station rather than that station. No matter how loud someone yells it won't hammer anything in to the head of someone who doesn't even know of the existence of the auditorium (station, what have you) in which the word are being spouted. Someone took a poll in Iowa back during the Army-McCarthy hearings (all of which were broadcast on tv) -- and it appeared that a sizable proportion of the population of Iowa had never heard of Joe McCarthy!

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Wojtek S Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 11:50 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Private vs. public ownership

Jordan: "more to do with your complaint out of one side of your keyboard about propaganda and your claim out of the other side of your keyboard that the best thing to do is to make shit up."

[WS:] OK then, what do you suggest as the best way of fighting propaganda?

rational discourse does not seem to be very effective, judging from the case of the United States.

Wojtek