[lbo-talk] Agency and Capitalism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Dec 30 15:34:05 PST 2010

Angelus Novus

This reminds me of a brilliant sticker by the group Gender Killer I once saw on a lamppost: "Capitalism is Not a Conspiracy of the Few. It Works Because You Work."

=====

That comes close to being a pretty good encapsulation of Postne's central argument -- though as Angelus mentioned some time ago, Postone can't draw very good politics from his own theory! (And of course, neither can any of his grad students apparently.)

I would add that capitalists themselves can't stop being capitalists (even if as individuals they wanted to) as long as workers continue to be workers.

Carrol