[lbo-talk] lbo-talk: Fear the Boom and Bust, a Hayek vs. Keynes Rap Anthem

Aaron Stark aaronsta at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 06:01:27 PST 2010

"Fear the Boom and Bust" a Hayek vs. Keynes Rap Anthem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0nERTFo-Sk For a transcript, see the bottom of the page here - http://econstories.tv/home.html .

This is another data point for the discussion from a few months ago about the growing popularity of right-libertarian ideas in the U.S.. Right-libertarians seem to be getting some political traction by claiming, as in this video, to be the underdogs, the beleaguered few whose ideas have never been tried and would solve the economic crisis if they were tried. Given the format, I'm guessing this is targeted towards youth and the youngish "creative class" -- I learned about it from internet sociologist danah boyd's favorable retweet http://twitter.com/zephoria .

The video was produced by John Papola and Russell Roberts . Roberts is a professor of Economics at George Mason University, and Papola is some TV/marketing guy. Both, according to the About page (http://econstories.tv/about.html) are apparently right-libertarian. The video is framed as a "debate", but of course Hayek, presented here as anti-stimulus, gets the final word.

Luckily, it's pretty awful hip-hop.