[lbo-talk] U. Mass prof lecture on the current economic slump....

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 2 07:23:47 PST 2010

Hi Mike,

His claims at the end about California startups = communist sound misleading. These small businesses aren't responsible for innovations (that's government subsidy*), though they do productize many of them.

If he knew better, he should've editorialized a bit.

Also, internal to a startup, different amounts of company control go to different people; and venture capitalists and angel investors are considered integral to funding the startup world. (Though "lifestyle" software-only firms can get away without a capitalist backing them.)

That said, I entirely agree with his main point: workers should run the companies they work in.

All the best, Tayssir

* For example: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/02/technology/02darpa.html