[lbo-talk] uh-oh! too much regulation!!

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Feb 2 16:46:36 PST 2010

Doug posts

'Americans Leery of Too Much Gov't Regulation of Business Republicans in particular are worried about too much government regulation'

I guess this is supposed to garner the response, how silly of them, of course business must be regulated. That's not my view.

Capitalism is a terrible thing. Capitalist government and bureaucracy. even worse.

Regulation of business does nothing to enhance the lives of working people. On the contrary, it only serves to reinforce the status quo.

I'm not American, but these are the regulations I face. I cannot, as a parent, look after someone else's child in an activity that takes place, once a week, without submitting myself to a check on my criminal background. So far I have submitted to this check four times, but despite having the certificate, I have to apply again for each separate activity.

The school my daughters has not appointed had a headteacher in post for the three out of the last four years, because the British government created a headship qualification that fewer people have attained than there are schools in the country. The school cannot employ teachers or teaching assistants for emergency cover, because they have not had their backgrounds vetted.

I cannot organise a firework display, or even a snowball fight for my childrens' friends on public grounds.

When I teach in universities, I have a statutory obligation to inform on islamic extremism to the police. (A friend of mine is being disciplined at work for not telling them that her student, who is doint postgraduate research on islamic extremism, downloaded an Al Qaeda manual, from the CIA website.)

Do I want more government regulation? No. The world would operate much better without any government, at all. Governments kill people, jail people and fuck them over. They do nothing useful whatsoever.

Till the last priest is strangled with the guts of the last bureaucrat.