[lbo-talk] uh-oh! too much regulation!!

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 3 18:27:46 PST 2010

Well, I think really the problem here is calling "the masses" "stupid" or "crazy," which are insults. They're not actually stupid or crazy (mostly); they're simply socialized in a given society and like people in any society tend to accept the beliefs and values of that society. Also, the kind of things we are talking about here aren't really issues to which most people devote much time in their daily lives, so they haven't bothered to think about them very much.

----- Original Message ---- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>

Hmm, as Carrol Cox pointed out the other day, turns of phrase are never accidental. "The Great Unwashed"?

But, as any Marxist schoolchild could tell you, the spontaneous state of the proletariat is hardly revolutionary, or even inspiring. And understanding the system, as old Karl pointed out, isn't easy. Faith in the wisdom of The People is too easy, too populist, and, judging from the state of things, kind of unjustified.