[lbo-talk] uh-oh! too much regulation!!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 3 18:16:10 PST 2010

On Feb 3, 2010, at 9:03 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> It always puzzles me to hear this from Lefties, because after
> all, in whom can we repose any hope *except* the Great Unwashed?

Hmm, as Carrol Cox pointed out the other day, turns of phrase are never accidental. "The Great Unwashed"?

But, as any Marxist schoolchild could tell you, the spontaneous state of the proletariat is hardly revolutionary, or even inspiring. And understanding the system, as old Karl pointed out, isn't easy. Faith in the wisdom of The People is too easy, too populist, and, judging from the state of things, kind of unjustified.

Doug