[lbo-talk] Political geography ( Was: lbo-talk Digest, Vol 1122, Issue 4)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 4 09:44:38 PST 2010

Well, I can't argue with data. I was thinking of e.g. Catholics who are left on economic issues, but right on issues of abortion and gay marriage, or libertarians who are the opposite. I personally have known many people like this, but again I can't argue with data.

----- Original Message ---- From: Matthias Wasser <matthias.wasser at gmail.com>

If you crunch the numbers on the political beliefs of Americans (and, unsurprisingly, the votes of their representatives) you'll find that >90% of it can be explained by just two eigenvectors: the left-right spectrum and a racial politics axis, the second of which has been steadily declining in importance over time. There may or may not be a good reason for beliefs about abortion to correspond to those about marginal tax rates to correspond to those about war, but they do.