[lbo-talk] Political geography ( Was: lbo-talk Digest, Vol 1122, Issue 4)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 4 09:51:59 PST 2010

On Feb 4, 2010, at 12:44 PM, Chris Doss wrote:

> I was thinking of e.g. Catholics who are left on economic issues,
> but right on issues of abortion and gay marriage, or libertarians
> who are the opposite.

Actually, Catholics hold opinions on abortion that are little different from the rest of the U.S. population (and, if I'm remembering right, are about as like to have abortions). Bartels' critique of Tom Frank, based on the National Election Survey, shows that for most white working class voters, social issues do not dominate their decisions - that's more likely for upscale voters. White working class voters actually sorta like Republican economic policies, he shows.

Doug