[lbo-talk] Political geography ( Was: lbo-talk Digest, Vol 1122, Issue 4)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 4 10:01:10 PST 2010

I was thinking of my cohort at the Catholic University of America in the 1990s, who admittedly, being graduate students, were probably not representative of the average Catholic (and did have plenty of ultraconservatives who thought that the Vatican was inhabited by far leftists).

----- Original Message ---- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> .

Actually, Catholics hold opinions on abortion that are little different from the rest of the U.S. population (and, if I'm remembering right, are about as like to have abortions). Bartels' critique of Tom Frank, based on the National Election Survey, shows that for most white working class voters, social issues do not dominate their decisions - that's more likely for upscale voters. White working class voters actually sorta like Republican economic policies, he shows.