[lbo-talk] uh-oh! too much regulation!!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 4 14:04:33 PST 2010

On Feb 4, 2010, at 4:27 PM, brad bauerly wrote:

> Yeah well I knew that it held in the aggregate but how do you
> explain the
> exceptional places like the red band around Minneapolis/St. Paul,
> southern
> California, Rustbelt region, and Florida? Conversely, why is North
> and
> South Dakota Blue on the House of Rep map, along with most of
> Colorado,
> Utah, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine? There are more too. I
> think the
> aggregate hides the truth in this case, which is much more complex
> than
> density= D. The argument that you are making is the mirror
> reflection of the
> conservative 'real america' argument.

You can make all the impressionistic arguments you like but you're wrong. E.g.:

http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/results/president/exit-polls.html

share of vote for Obama by size of place

big cities 70% small cities 59 suburbs 50 small towns 45 rural areas 45

Also:

http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~cook/movabletype/archives/2008/05/jonathan_rodden.html