[lbo-talk] weimar shadows

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Mon Feb 8 13:03:01 PST 2010

On 2010-02-07, at 8:12 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Lots of people are prououndly ignorant for lots of things. And the forms
> and subjects of "ignorance" are so varied, that noting an ignorance of a
> perticular kind of a particular subject matter hardly explains anything.
> To pick a random example, I am prfoundly ignorant (and plan to remain
> so) of C-basic (and substitute any other programming language & the
> anser is the same). Why shouldn't I be? Suppose a Palin supporter should
> say to you, Yes, I'm ignorant of political affairs, but why shouldI be
> when I have someone I trust -- Palin, that is -- to guide me. I'm a busy
> perosn; I don't have much leisure time, and I need to relax. Besides,
> complicated prose gives me a headache.
>
> How are you going to reply to that Palin supporter?

I would say: "Well, it's no big deal that you're ignorant of political affairs. I myself am profoundly ignorant of computer programming and plan to remain so. Ditto your trust in Ms. Palin, because I'm confident if we spend a few moments talking things through, we'll find common ground. After all, I'm as angry and alienated as you and the other teabaggers are from the government and the system and I fully agree, as I've heard some of you say, that we need a new American revolution. So let me start by stating that I'm unequivocally opposed to racism, sexism, homophobia, US aggression in Iraq, Iran, Venezuela, Cuba and Afghanistan, creationism, global warming, right-to-work laws, and private ownership in general. As you say, you're a busy person who probably hasn't thought much about how our country discriminates against blacks, immigrants, gays, Muslims, and women at home and is the greatest threat to peace and freedom abroad..."