[lbo-talk] platform

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Feb 8 19:11:39 PST 2010

Doug Henwood wrote:

> [The use of "productive" is classically populist, but the rest of this
> is pretty standard-issue right-wing boilerplate. How is someone who
> believes these sorts of things amenable to sweet-talking from the left?]

They aren't _while_ they believe these things. But (as the large number of ex-leftists in thenation also illustrates) people change their minds all the time. But they don't change their minds, in the first instance, because someone 'courts' them. They change their minds, or at least loosen up, because of things that happen to them or around them. I personally doubt that most right-wingrs will change, and certainly not through a non-existen left 'organizing them' or directing agitation at them.

But it doesn't hurt leftists to train themselves not to sneer at any particular group or individuals. And it might be good training for the day when suddenly there is a larger public response to left goals.

Carrol