[lbo-talk] a new low

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 9 09:39:46 PST 2010

Dennis Perrin wrote:
>> Not necessarily arguing with your main points, but don't all signers
>> on to
>> the military go through basic training, and fire weapons etc. Then
>> go on to
>> regular support jobs?
>
> Yes, though according to younger soldiers I've spoken to (one of whom
> spent a year in Iraq), the training's not as rigorous or sadistic as
> it was when I went through basic (summer '79). Back then, you could
> wear you down to the pavement. Now, trainees wear gym clothes for PT.
> Still, they do have to fire M-16s.
>
> Dennis

The Navy , Coast Guard, and the Air Force do not fire weapons nor learn to field service weapons in basic training. They constitute ~50% of all service personnel. I never even saw a weapon except for the sidearms on MP's during basic training in the Navy in the late 1980's. I did my basic at Great Lakes. I did not even have to do so in Marine basic which I had to complete after finishing my Navy A School. Marine basic was at Camp Lejuene. I think ~50% of all recruits never even holding a weapon constitutes "huge numbers of people in the military" and since learning to fire a weapon does not constitute becoming a trained killer I cannot see how the minimum number of military personnel who are not trained killers could possibly be less than 60%. It's probably more like ~75%.

John Thornton