[lbo-talk] Tracking the decline of the left's historic base

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 11 11:03:08 PST 2010

On Feb 11, 2010, at 1:38 PM, B. wrote:

> I posted one very germane nugget from a longer book, about a
> relevant demographic being discussed (for ex., Sarah Palin's "real
> America") -- ergot you extrapolate and make broad, crotchety, and
> 100% unwarranted generalizations/speculations about other topics.

Carrol's response could have been a bit more measured, but I really wonder if Chomsky is right about the demographic. That would be especially true of the Tea Party people. I have my doubts that they're really working class - if they're heavily populated by small biz types and self-employed professionals, that's not a promising constituency for a left.

Doug