[lbo-talk] Tracking the decline of the left's historic base

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Feb 11 12:57:09 PST 2010

I've always been and still am a great admirer of Chomsky. There's never been any doubt as to which side he's on. But his great contributions have beenin the realm of the relationof the U.S to the rest of the world. Also, if I remember correctly he _does_ come himself from a working-class background -- which is part of his strength AND possibly a source of his weakness here. He has, I think, as many people in "working-class studies have, romanticzed a working class that is, as I said in my previous post, more of an identiy than anything that properly 'stands for' the _whole_ working class. "Poor and Angry" CAN identify par, but only part, of the constituency of the left, but any one who has lived in rural areas can probably tell you, they may also represent the core troops for right-wing extremists. So one simply can't take Chomsky's word for it. Rather more careful, on-the-spot investigation would be needed. And it's not worth the effort. It wouldn't have been worth it in the '60s to try to 'reach' the pooer whites of central Illinois. McLean Cunty is one of the richest counties in the U.S., but everey little village had its sidestreet of rural poor. I knew some of them and liked them -- but it would have been insane to make them a priority for left organizing.

And I grew up with and went to school with rural & village kids in south-western Michian. The Black population in Berrien County (arond Benton Harbor) is a left constituency if a left appears again -- but not, I think, the rural poor there. I could be wrong on this becayse U;ve beeb away for a long time. But I wouldn't be real interested even in organizing my own relatives in the area.

Carrol