[lbo-talk] Obama's Wall Street ass lick: cause and effect

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Thu Feb 11 17:40:30 PST 2010

On Thu, February 11, 2010 4:30 pm, Julio Huato wrote:

> So, maybe risk (3) is not apparent to Obama, because there's no left,
> no Soviet Union, no serious union movement, etc.

But there is indeed a counterweight, namely the global semi-periphery. (The EU never quite fulfilled this role, due to its own Euroliberalism and Maastricht monetarism, while Japan was always too small and export-dependent to rein in the US).

The semi-periphery finances the US economy these days, and its developmental states keep getting stronger, bigger, and smarter. My best guess (of course, I could be wrong) is that BRIC 2.0, the next generation of developmental states, is about to go live in places like Indonesia, Ukraine and parts of Central Asia.

-- DRR