[lbo-talk] DC blizzard dooms cap and trade

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 05:15:46 PST 2010

Come now, Chris, that "(only)" pretty clearly indicates you're fully aware that you're attributing to Shag a position you know she doesn't hold. She's not making the claim you imply any more than you are you really saying that the form, content and dynamics of "the family" under Rome (simply) resembled the dynamics, content and form of "the family" in under Victorian capitalism, extending into the present.

What struck me about Shag's comment, however, is that it resonates with the Polanyi query - particularly the Neil Smith component - I'd posted to no response. The development of capitalism transforms, differentiates and homogenizes relations of all sorts. As part of the process of defining the boundaries of reified phenomena like (but not limited to) "the economy", "the state," "civil society" (where you can see parallels with ahistorically idealist conceptions of "nature", "labor" and "space") - these metacategories, their qualitative differences and their subcomponents are naturalized. That process of naturalization generates practices predicated on the idea that the reproduction of nature, labor and space, of resources, workers and society, occurs independenly of capital and capital has no responsibility for it. A huge portion of the growth of the state is then tied not to social control but to the mediation of public and private access to and the more or less healthy reproduction of the ecological, personal and communal conditions of production and life.

What Polanyi gets wrong, and I've neither made this argument before nor seen it elsewhere (anyone know of an instance - focused on Polanyi?) is that these phenomena and relationships have to be produced before they can be abstracted. There were families before capitalism but they were families with very different sex/gender/generational relations; ties between production, reproduction, use- and exchange-value; and relationships to the means of re/production - including control over "relations" and "forces" of production as well as the dynamics of productive cooperation (both a force and relation).

Too many agrifood and environmental studies folks love Polanyi and the argument that capitalism's OK, it just has to be kept in check so that it doesn't get moving so fast that it ooutstrips the ability of nature and labor tpo adjust...