[lbo-talk] spreading depression

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Feb 15 20:21:14 PST 2010

Doug Henwood wrote:

> The psychological, not economic, kind.
>
> There was some skepticism around here when I said a while back that I
> thought depression had increased in frequency over the decades. Here's
> some supporting evidence from an alleged authority, though without
> footnotes, via The Awl. Somehow, I blame capitalism, but I'm not clear
> on the mechanism, though suppressed alienation and rage must have
> something to do with it.

The problem (or a problem) lies in having an accurate estimate on depression rates in the past -- hence an inability to know whether there are more depressed people or more peopple getting diagnosed for it as it becomes a bit more 'respectable.' There were quite a few depressed people among my relatives, but none of them were ever formally diagnosed or treated. Child abuse is one major factor, though I don't know wht the percentages are. Combat is another.

At one time depression was described as rage turned inward -- but I don't know whether that is still used as a description. There's an overlap that I don't quite understand beteween depression and migraine and depression and diabetes. The latter seems weird.

Carrol