[lbo-talk] The zen of marx (was clarification)

Lakshmi Rhone lakshmirhone at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 12:13:33 PST 2010

On 2/16/10, Matthias Wasser <matthias.wasser at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Lakshmi Rhone <lakshmirhone at gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > But I am interested in the psychological type that claims the spirt of
> > Marx but spits
> > out appeals to authority (LISTEN TO DAVID HARVEY FOR THIRTY HOURS
> > NOW), does not understand what Marx says (treating rent as something
> > added on to price, which is the basic error that Marx's analysis was
> > meant to expose), and provides one muddled idea after another.
> > This kind of Marxism requires psychological analysis, don't you think?
> > LR
> >

> That's not an appeal to authority. What was said was "Marx's theory of value
> is very complex, and here's a better explanation than I could provide, if
> you have the time for it, by a one David Harvey," not "according to Doctor
> of Marxology David Harvey, Marx's theory of value is x, so Marx's theory of
> value is x." If you have time to LISTEN TO DAVID HARVEY FOR THIRTY HOURS,
> you'll find that it isn't just thirty hours of "as Doctor of Marxology, I
> certify that the following things are true..." - he very carefully develops
> an argument, which is why it takes thirty hours.

That's why Marx declined the offer to a short public debate with Comrade Weston and told everyone that they had to read all four volumes of Capital or watch 30 hours of YouTube before they even began a dialogue about value (or VALUE).

> Carrol's said much I disagree with and much I just can't comprehend, but
> he's also said, again and again, that speculating about one's opponents'
> psychological motivations makes constructive debate impossible. He's right.

I thought that is what Julio Huato said in the debate about Obama.

LR