[lbo-talk] Forwarded without comment ...

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 15:58:29 PST 2010

I concur. Anyway, in the 1970s Greece was along with Italy and Portugal part of that "unsettled" zone of European capitalism... despite democratization, not much has changed, right? The CP is still wedded to Stalinist orthodoxy and is drab and conservative, but still has some real roots in the working class and trade union support. I'm not sure about the current political orientation of SYRIZA, but compared to the rest of Europe they are quite vibrant. I'm also not sure if all that "petit-bourgeois rock throwing" pushed people towards the "law and order", but from the last election results it didn't seem that way. I don't see much of an alternative opening up in Greece. If shit hits the fan and the center-left can't impose austerity and there aren't forces strong enough to the left to really rock the boat and the country enters into another prolong period of chaos.... what happens? Chaos until the right wins a mandate in the next elections?