[lbo-talk] spreading depression

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 10:39:34 PST 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

One reason it's annoying that that article contained no footnotes is that it
> claimed that it wasn't a matter of frequency of diagnosis, but actual
> increase in prevalence.

I dunno. I'm not at all well-read on the topic, but I have the impression that several recent surveys - like Allan V. Horwitz and Jerome C. Wakefield's *The Loss of Sadness: How Psychiatry Transformed Normal Sorrow into Depressive Disorder*, or Gary Greenberg's *Manufacturing Depression: The Secret History of a Modern Disease* - have concluded the opposite. Not having actually read any of them, and relying exclusively on reviews, I'm at a distinct disadvantage, though. Here's one from today:

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/culturelab/2010/02/are-you-depressed-or-are-you-sad.php