[lbo-talk] My Sharona sells expensive real estate

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 17 18:58:35 PST 2010

My aunt, who is a FOX News/Glenn Beck conservative, was apparently quite the hellcat in the 70s and early 80s. I have The Knack's s/t debut LP thanks to her (along with a mountain of other pre-1982 vinyl). She hates "liberals" and lefties, but introduced me to Devo, Black Sabbath, the Kinks, KISS, and Alice Cooper at a young age. She saw Suzi Quatro play with Alice Cooper (!!!!) in 1974 at the Nashville Municipal Auditorium. You would never know or suspect this given how she thinks/votes/etc. today. Not that you can't be a rockin' Republican, I guess .... ;(

Of course the Dead Kennedys mocked The Knack with a spoof of "My Sharona," with the chorus changed to "My Payola!" at a live show where Jello proclaimed, "We're no longer a punk rock band, we're a NEW WAVE BAND," mocking the tendency at the time of punk bands to soften their sound and become commercial-friendly "new wave" aka sell out. The DK spoof only exists as a live version AFAIK.

-B.

Doug Henwood wrote:

"Good Girls Don't. Great song. Heartbeat's pretty good too."

Dennis Claxton wrote:

"I can't remember anything else they did."