[lbo-talk] Fascism, right-wing populism, and contemporary research +++

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 11:04:00 PST 2010

Chip: "I am finding this discussion here on LBO very useful in forcing me to think about it, so thanks, Marv."

[WS:] You make excellent points, Chip. I very much appreciate your realistic perspective on the subject.

One thing that seems to be missing from using the Euro experience to analyze the growth of fascism in the US is consideration of the structure of the state i.e. the federal decentralized structure of the US state, that is very much different from the centralized structure of the European fascist states. That makes establishment a centralized fascist control far more difficult here than it was in Europe.

I think that a more likely outcome of the actual (as opposed to potential) growth of fascist movement in the US is the break-up of the union with some states taken over by the fascists while other resisting them. This outcome seems to be suggested by the development in former Yugoslavia, which had a federal and relatively decentralized structure.

I think it is unlikely that a centralized fascist control akin to that in Germany could be effectively established in the US. That would require unprecedented cooptation of state governors and legislatures. I can see many northern states actively resisting such cooptation, which is likely to escalate to internal tensions in the union similar to those in the antebellum period. Whether those tensions would eventually lead to a breakup of the union or some sort of military intervention is hard to predict. I think that a more likely scenario under these circumstances (if they materialize, which is a big if) is that we observed in Yugoslavia - a breakup of the federal structure into different states, some of which doing rather well (cf. Slovenia) other consummated by violent conflicts (cf. Bosnia, Kosovo), while other relatively stable but under a totalitarian rule (cf. Serbia.)

Wojtek