[lbo-talk] Fascism, right-wing populism, and contemporary research +++

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sat Feb 20 14:23:37 PST 2010

On 2010-02-20, at 4:20 PM, Max Sawicky wrote:

> As things stand there does not seem to be much need for a fascist
> movement, so the
> main outcome of the TP is flailing around, followed by demoralization
> and dissolution.
> Remember how huge the Perot thing was, for a few microseconds? I'd say any
> secessionist move would be a joke.
========================= Like much else about the movement, which is so very primitive at this stage. Far right groups, especially fascist ones, are typically more centralized and better organized with a formal program, even when they are starting up. The right populist TP does not appear to have a coherent program and lacks a leader of national stature. It's one possible hope, Sarah Palin, is scorned by two-thirds of the population, and has anyway kept a friendly distance from the teabaggers and fallen into line with the Republican establishment supporting McCain's re-election in Arizona over J.D. Hayworth, the conservatives' favourite. That speaks volumes about the GOP leadership's supposedly embrace of the movement. My impression from here is that it is still very much a motley collection of local groups which will follow the course Max outlines for it unless things get noticeably worse. The liberal left is alarmed by the appearance of the movement, but it will more likely redound to the benefit of the Democrats if it ends up splitting the Republicans as it did in upstate New York.

Doug jokes that their ancestors tried secession once before. Except for the Emancipation Act, I'm still not persuaded that their defeat was a good thing. :)

Ok. Overposted.