[lbo-talk] Fascism, right-wing populism, and contemporary research +++

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Sat Feb 20 13:20:09 PST 2010

Not too long ago some of us viewed the Christian right as a neo-fascist threat. They were able to mobilize and organize like crazy, much more than what has been observed thus far with the TP. They have realized a certain degree of political power and have done a lot of damage (I'm thinking Texas school books, eliminating access to abortion), but at the same time the GOP has been selling them out for decades. They did not react to this betrayal by separating and recasting themselves, instead they fizzled. The same scenario is conceivable for the TP. If Obama tried to transcend neo-liberal boundaries just a bit, and/or if the economy got a lot worse, or if there was some kind of progressive mobilization, the prognosis would be different.

As things stand there does not seem to be much need for a fascist movement, so the main outcome of the TP is flailing around, followed by demoralization and dissolution. Remember how huge the Perot thing was, for a few microseconds? I'd say any secessionist move would be a joke.