[lbo-talk] Fascism, right-wing populism, and contemporary research +++

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sat Feb 20 18:18:55 PST 2010

On Sat, February 20, 2010 4:40 pm, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Quite true, which is why it's a little weird that the Federal government
> is basically letting the states hang themselves

But it fits perfectly with what we might call Obama-ism -- the ethos of the professional strivers and fixes, agents and wheeler-dealers who become the political functionaries of the Empire. Last week I was sitting in a cafe, forced to overhear a conversation between two young people who were well on their way to joining those elites. How could I tell? Endless tales of NGO-dom, landing summer internships which pay more in two months more than I've made over the past four years, not a dollop of social conscience, etc.

It suddenly struck me that these are the American apparatchiks, and just as the Soviet version didn't consciously plan to destroy their Empire, but did so anyway, our version is going down the same path.

-- DRR