[lbo-talk] questions for the fascist-watchers

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 21:04:09 PST 2010

SergioL652 at aol.com wrote:

> Also, the scary alternative to Obama is not fascism is
> republicans. They showed how much damage they can do in power for eight
> years. All the items that Doug mention are extensions of the Bush regime.
> If they had not been there already I doubt Obama would have been pushing
> for it. You damm right I'm afraid of another republican victory.

You're afraid of another Republican victory? I've got bad news for you: There will be more Republican victories. We live in a two-party system. One party won't just disappear. It will come back - if not in 2010 then 2012; if not 2012 then 2014. You can hope for many things but there is no hope of stopping Republican victories.

But what you can hope for is to push both parties to the left - just as the TP is pushing them to the right - so that Dems fell compelled to do good instead of evil and Republicans are defanged. In 1965, Medicare - a single payer program - passed with *half* of the Republicans in the Senate voting *for* it. Under those conditions, the inevitable Republican victories become a bit less catastrophic.

But pushing both parties to the left is something that can't be done unless the "left" is willing to do things that risk some Republican victories in the short term. (Like attacking Obama from the left without cowering over the possibility he might be "weakened" in advance of the next election.) Otherwise, the current pattern will continue: GOP controls things and pushes the country 10 steps to the right....Dems control things and push the country between -1 and 1 steps to the left.....GOP controls things again; 10 more steps to the right again.....

SA