[lbo-talk] Fascism, right-wing populism, and contemporary research

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Feb 21 10:47:30 PST 2010

Marv Gandall wrote:

> To add to Jim's excellent summary below, the rational kernel in fascism might be described as is it's emphasis on jobs, planning, social welfare, regulation, and a tripartite approach to governance aimed at balancing the interests of the state, capital, and the working class, irrespective of whether we agree with all of these policies or not.

Agreed. But there is some other element in Fascism, and element totally irrelevant to their practice, that attracts (or at leas attracted 80 years ago) intellecutals to their supportt. Pound was the most open sympathizer but Eliot, Yeats, Lawrence, and others were attracted as well. I'm not sure how to identify it, but "it" (whatever it was) beame the organizing core of Pound's Cantos. I've got various ideas abut it but none very developed.

Carrol