[lbo-talk] Fascism, right-wing populism, and contemporary research

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 11:23:09 PST 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

Agreed. But there is some other element in Fascism, and element totally
> irrelevant to their practice, that attracts (or at leas attracted 80
> years ago) intellecutals to their supportt. Pound was the most open
> sympathizer but Eliot, Yeats, Lawrence, and others were attracted as
> well. I'm not sure how to identify it, but "it" (whatever it was) beame
> the organizing core of Pound's Cantos. I've got various ideas abut it
> but none very developed.

Are you excluding Walter Benjamin's "**aestheticization of politics" from consideration? While I have some nuanced differences with the idea, I think it's at least sufficient to explain the roster you present here, which could just as accurately be called a list of poets, or romantics, as of intellectuals.