[lbo-talk] questions for the fascist-watchers

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Feb 22 09:02:55 PST 2010

On Feb 22, 2010, at 1:05 AM, SA wrote:

> Look, I'm sure there are still people who subscribe to conservative
> magazines and belong to conservative groups who think water
> fluoridation is a communist conspiracy.

Hey, ever hear some "left" health nuts on the topic? E.g., Gary Null, who sees it as a corporate, not communist, plot:

http://www.garynull.com/documents/Dental/Fluoride/fluoride2.htm

Not that Gary Null is exactly "left," but he was a stalwart at WBAI for many years.

> Most early Birch Society members never bought into the rantings of
> Robert Welch. Even most of JBS's national executive committee
> privately dissented from many specific things Welch said. I mean,
> the guy believed in the Illuminati and all sorts of stuff that have
> nothing to do with Goldwaterism. After 1964, once NR started
> denouncing the JBS as a group and the mainstream GOP party
> organization became more congenial to the hard right, the JBS
> suffered a gradual exodus of its sane members and only a truly crazy
> rump remained.

We had one JBS sympathizer in the Party of the Right back in 1971. He believed all the stuff about the Queen of England and the Commies too. But just one, and he was regarded as a bit odd.

Doug