[lbo-talk] questions for the fascist-watchers

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Feb 22 08:34:39 PST 2010

Michael Pollak wrote:

> AFAICT, for Buckley and Bozell, so long as it wasn't blatently racist,
> conspiracy thinking was essentially a problem of style, an excess of
> enthusiasm, that could be overlooked. You could still defend it for having
> good principles. Which in practice meant it was okay if if they were helping
> the right side and not making racial slurs.

Some anecdotage that may or may not be relevant or of interest.

My first wife's college roomate at Carleton College was Patty Bozell, Brent Bozell's sister. (She brought her horse to college with her.) Anyhow, in 1952 Patty sent Jessie a letter including an essay he and Buckley had written about Eisenhower. My spontaneous reaction was "this is the nearest thing to u.s. fascims I have ever seen." Probably that wasn't quite corrct, but I was correct in seeing it as one of the more poisonous pieces of writing I had ever seen at the time. That copy is long gone, and I don't know if it was published or not at the time. And now that I think of it -- it may have been just by Bozell. Memory vague.

Carrol