[lbo-talk] Jobless future?

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Feb 22 21:45:20 PST 2010

Chris M wrote:

"I know that Stanley Aronowitz has been something of a personal bête noire of Doug's for some time now, particularly in reference to his stuff on the "jobless future." But doesn't the data that's starting to emerge from the recession seem to point that the structural underpinning of the US economy is actually starting to trend in the direction that Stanley has forecast for years?"

Well, of course, the "trend" has been there one way or another since the 80's. Just got done reading (the boring) Liar's Poker and got reminded of the way the working class got reamed through the mergers and acquisitions era, & the strong dollar era.

But the point of these articles is not to predict a jobless future, but to convince the audience that a jobless future is the only possible future.

Fuck them.

I just had a letter from a friend who wrote that the reason people aren't getting jobs is because they're not willing to earn less. This is a guy with a job-for-life, and pension, and an attitude on top of that. Motherfucking asshole.

Joanna