[lbo-talk] catchy headlines

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Feb 24 17:08:07 PST 2010

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, Doug Henwood wrote:

> First time I ever heard of Luttwak was in the late 1970s, when I saw him
> on TV complaining about Jimmy Carter's "pathological fear of the use of
> force." Good to see the old ghoul hasn't lost his edge:
>
> <http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/02/22/in_praise_of_aerial_bombing>
>
>> In Praise of Aerial Bombing
>> Why terror from the skies still works.
>>
>> BY EDWARD LUTTWAK | MARCH/APRIL 2010

He's often got catchy titles in this vein. This was one of my faves:

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/55210/edward-n-luttwak/give-war-a-chance

July/August 1999 FOREIGN AFFAIRS

Give War a Chance Edward Luttwak

Since the establishment of the United Nations, great powers have

rarely let small wars burn themselves out. Bosnia and Kosovo are the

latest examples of this meddling. Conflicts are interrupted by a

steady stream of cease-fires and armistices that only postpone

war-induced exhaustion and let belligerents rearm and regroup. Even

worse are U.N. refugee-relief operations and NGOs, which keep

resentful populations festering in camps and sometimes supply both

sides in armed conflicts. This well-intentioned interference only

intensifies and prolongs struggles in the long run. The unpleasant

truth is that war does have one useful function: it brings peace.

Let it.

Edward N. Luttwak is Senior Fellow at the Center for Strategic and

International Studies.