[lbo-talk] eXile

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 25 17:47:22 PST 2010

I wrote: "He never claimed to be a leftist that I know of at least in the Western sense of the term. I mean, he's a friend and admirer of Limonov."

By which I mean that people in Russia who call themselves "left" (such as Limonov) are usually ethnonationalists. For instance, the now largely defunct Russian National Unity (totally defunct? I don't know if they have officially folded), a former ally of Limonov, is considered "left" in Russia, but in the US, Canada, Australia, or Western Europe would be considered fascists (in the nontechnical sense of the term -- I don't want to open up the can of worms again).

It's interesting how this article treats Limonov, making him all cute and cuddly and Vanity Fair-readership-friendly, as in (I paraphrase) his "new incarnation as an anti-Putin activist." It's not a new incarnation of anything. Limonov is the same as he has been for the past 20 years -- a Russian ultra-ethnonationalist who fought ("fought" in the real sense of shooting a gun at people and risking his own life) in the former Yugoslavia on the side of the Chetniks, fought alongside Cossacks in Moldova on the side of Transdniestr, and wants to carve a "greater Russia" out of the non-Russian former USSR republics.

Ten years ago, when he was in his "old but really exactly the same as now incarnation as an anti-Yeltsin activist," he was regularly described as a neo-Nazi in the mainstream Emglish-language press.

PS. The eXile was not "the angriest newspaper in Russia." It was "the angriest newspaper in Russia in the English language, and therefore the only one that Vanity Fair knows exists." Limonov's own newspaper, Limonka, with its appeals to Hitler, made the eXile look like pussies.