[lbo-talk] Responsibilities

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Thu Feb 25 17:53:40 PST 2010

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 20:28:55 -0500 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:

> On Feb 25, 2010, at 7:14 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> > One of the reasons that htere is no left in the united states is
>
> > that so
> > many potential leftists believe this -- that Democrats are
> different,
> > and that when they act like Obama they are Republicrats or
> soemthing.
>
> Carrol, I agree with you up to a point, but the two parties aren't
>
> identical. The Dems get a lot of mileage out of subtle differences
>
> which are amplified in the minds of their supporters. The mechanisms
>
> of that differentiation are one of the crucial elements of the U.S.
>
> political system.

But those differences exist mostly at the level of the base for both parties: self-declared Democrats tend to lean to the left and self-proclaimed Republicans tend to lean to the right. But at the top levels in both parties, there is little difference on most issues between the elites that control the Democrats and the elites that control the Republicans. Basically the same policies, but somewhat different rhetorics used to rally support for them.

Jim F. http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant