[lbo-talk] ciao, unions

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 06:18:39 PST 2010

Beyond the Repug claim that small business owners are the base and clientele of the party, do you know of any empirical data showing that to be the case, affiliation- and/or voting-wise? Is it in fact true that small business owners have greater clout than their economic power would suggest?

My sense is that this is largely an ideological and legitimating assertion made by Rep[ugs in direct contrast to the policies they have actually implemented... it certainly doesn't seem to me that policy programs that have served the interests of huge financial interests; massive energy, extractive, agrichemical and food processing industries; gargantuan retailers, and military-industrial suppliers is oriented in any meaningful way towards small business owners. If the assertion is made, by Repugs, that they have also set the stage for all sorts of start-ups then I think one has to counter that the dream of almost all start-ups is to turn into or be snarfled up by HP, MS, Syngenta, etc...

I don't think the small businesses Repug policies actually support are those run by Korean green grocers, mom and pop delis, local jewelers, shoe repair shops, independent auto repair facilities, community-based landscaping companies, local pharmacies, or CSA-oriented "more than organic" or "Field of Dreams"-like farms... which is what I think most people envision when "small business" is appealed to.