[lbo-talk] ciao, unions

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 26 09:22:49 PST 2010

On Feb 26, 2010, at 9:18 AM, Alan Rudy wrote:

> My sense is that this is largely an ideological and legitimating
> assertion
> made by Rep[ugs in direct contrast to the policies they have actually
> implemented... it certainly doesn't seem to me that policy programs
> that
> have served the interests of huge financial interests; massive energy,
> extractive, agrichemical and food processing industries; gargantuan
> retailers, and military-industrial suppliers is oriented in any
> meaningful
> way towards small business owners.

Many Reps opposed the TARP bailout - that wasn't big business speaking.

An important part of the Rep base is also the extractive industries, and other purveyors of pollutants. That's one of the major business differences between the parties - many/most Dems support cap & trade, because Wall Street likes it and because they're not denialist loons, but most Reps oppose anything that would hurt the energy industry.

Doug