[lbo-talk] 8.8 EQ in Chile

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 11:29:09 PST 2010

That is a very very kind reading of Lomborg. His argument is not only that affluent societies may handle the consequences of climate change more easily than will the impoverished - which is simultaneously facile and ignores stratification in affluent societies - but it is also that climate science is too uncertain, regulation too authoritarian of the state and mandated reductions too bad for "the economy". I disagree with his scientific analysis - and not only because he cherry-picks data, misreads studies and misrepresents research of climate change researchers pro and con and find it stunning that an argument could be made on this list that someone who argues that we can trust private and public scientific and technological development, in the name of market and productive efficiencies to solve the long-term minor problem of climate change should be taken seriously. He further argues that we should dedicate far more in the way of essentially (naturally) limited public resources to issues of poverty, public health, etc. across the global south... which'd be fine except that his argument is that we should do this not alongside greenhouse gas regulation but instead... because of the inherently limited resources governments have.