[lbo-talk] 8.8 EQ in Chile

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 27 12:43:45 PST 2010

Bhaskar: I'm not sure a serious alternative was evolving with Allende. Figure that they would've been hit with the same crisis of the 70s that affected every other center-left / left government in the world and a messy turn towards neoliberal austerity. Only difference being a few less thousand dead in soccer stadiums.

Somebody: You're probably right, but I was trying to be optimistic. In reality, an alternate reality Chile would probably be somewhat less prosperous, after a turbulent transition to neo-liberalism when "much needed economic reforms" where made, but would nevertheless have somewhat attenuated class differences. For example, many of the former Warsaw Pact countries still have low Gini coefficients. Chile's is very high.