[lbo-talk] lbo-talk Digest, Vol 1146, Issue 1

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 19:51:17 PST 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 7:06 AM, brad bauerly <bbauerly at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if you could answer a few questions for me Mike related to what
> Doug said below.  I am also struck by the fact that there is still a lot of
> speculation in derivatives- as Doug mentioned in RMBS and closer to my own
> research in the Agflation that occurred in 2006-2008.

I don't think I can be much help, Brad. I don't know much about the food crisis at all, and I don't really know what Bryan and Rafferty would say. It's not their position that valuations are always 'right', or that derivatives markets are functional in the sense of being some grand strategist for capital.

In general, (speaking for myself) I don't think speculation can keep price booms going for all that long, and often speculation really is stabilising. Like I said I don't know much about the particulars of the food crisis. But I'd be sceptical of a line of argument placing all the blame on speculation - it is one of those convenient arguments that anthropomorphises bad market outcomes into the form of bad people.

Mike Beggs