[lbo-talk] Obama killing Pakistani civilians at 8 times Bush's rate

Percival Myers permaceaem at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 13:36:44 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Yo dude, the subject heading was about Pakistani civilians - to which you'd
> initially responded. Now that I've come up with some data showing that
> extending the comparison period back earlier is no more favorable to Obama,

Extending the comparison period back for drones only. You're fixated on drones. Why? Do you think death by drone is more abominable than death by other opposing-force causes?

> you're changing the subjecdt.

No, I'm not. I asked for all of the innocent deaths from inception of hostilities to present, not just the deaths attributable to drones - CIA drones or other.

> I know that Obama didn't invade Iraq.

Have a cookie, then remember that Bush did invade Afghanistan, loose interest in it, and then invade Iraq. I believe that the raw numbers of Pakistani deaths (caused by US Forces) should be compared to the raw numbers of Iranian deaths, in this context. Not what you and that tripe writer seem to favor. You're giving Doss a leg up with that.

> But he's
> jacking up the war in "AfPak" and about to do the same in Yemen. This from
> the guy guy that many hacks and dupes thought of as the peace candidate,
> kind of like LBJ in 1964, eh?

With regards to Afghanistan, please point to the "peace candidate" part of his pre-election rhetoric. With cites. Because I remember an emphasis on going after bin Laden, wherever he was, not continuance of dalliances in countries with ties to oil concerns and their corporate interests.

Yemen is a different country and deserves its own address. In this context, I don't recall it being mentioned before the last 30 days or so. Feel free to prove Yemen doesn't have some al Qaida component that is under attack.

The Dude