[lbo-talk] My Ayn Randian, libertarian loving relatives....argh... !!!

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 07:50:06 PST 2010

I don't know. First of all, Wojtek made his argument in terms of a seemingly universal international tendency ranging from Fascist Germany to the 21st C United States. Your argument implies that, say, from Progressivism and Joe Hill to The Great Society and Cesar Chavez, there were left and, presumably, right wing arguments rooted in various forms of communitarianism that countered libertarian strands - at least until 1965.

There's no arguing that neoliberal ideologues have pushed libertarian individualism - most notably across the political sphere since 1981 and I agree that they were organizing that push for at least 15 years before Reagan's election. At the same time, the neoliberals succeeded, electorally, by combining with neoconservatives who sought to advance the exact opposite agenda... Christian romanticism, nationalist anti-communism, nativist anti-immigrantism and militarist anti-terrorism. There are two New Rights, no? But didn't fascism do the same thing, simultaneously embrace and advance superhuman individualism and bowing down to authentic tradition?

Furthermore, the majority of the folks I've known who were drawn to Rand were not from my comfortable professional managerial class, they were strivers, up-and-coming folks seeking to escape lower income and lower status positions. If there's a greater interest in Rand among folks from my basic background it would seem to me to arise from the new insecurity, produced by neoliberalism, we all feel. Its not by any means simply an age thing, it's the combination of a particular background, a particular age and a particular era.

Another reason I think Wojtek is, at least overstating the case is because the greatest growth in evangelical/mega-church participation has come from the middle class - and not from the older middle class of my parents but from the younger middle class of my generation (I turned 20, late in 1981). And this happened to them in their twenties. Now it could be that such folks are Randian in their professional lives and Religious in their personal lives - though I bet that doesn't always turn out so well - but that's not the argument Wojtek made.

But even more than all this, I have no idea what "the middle class" means in this context. If we are talking about the upper reaches of the professional managerial classes then I think there's at least as much of the split personality I just proposed as there is anything like a Randian cosmopolitianism. If we are talking about the middle class of middle management and (fairly) high wage (once unionized) blue collar workers then - since I teach their children - I see very little Randian individualism. Most of what I see from these folks, and the wannabe strivers, is confusion... they know they aren't superhuman and most celebrate their connection to extended family and community... they are far more depressively romantic than aggressively individualist.

Last, if the assertion is that Rand is ever more attractive to elite twenty-somethings, I'd love to see that played out. Is libertarianism more robust at Dartmouth, Williams, Amherst, Smith, Colgate, Harvard, Wesleyan, Yale, Columbia, Bard, Skidmore, Princeton, Penn, Haverford, Swarthmore, Johns Hopkins, William and Mary, Duke, Davidson, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Kalamazoo, Carelton, Northwestern, University of Chicago, Colorado College, Reed, Stanford, any of the Claremont Colleges or the UCs than the tendency for folks to head for Teach for American, NGO work, green tech, etc? Admittedly without any data, I just don't think it is.